ACLU Member – T. Charles Shafer
T. Charles Shafer, Esquire, proudly announces that he has become a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.
The ACLU was founded in 1920 and is our nation’s guardian of liberty. The ACLU works in the courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all people in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
- We value justice, where all people are treated fairly, with dignity, and have equality under the law.
- We value liberty, where all people have self-autonomy, freedom from suppression, and freedom to make their own choices.
- We value democracy, where all people have their voices heard and have the ability to meaningfully participate in decision-making.
- We believe in non-partisanship. Our work is guided by our values, not by political party or personality.
- We believe in centering the leadership and voices of impacted people.
- We believe in equity and inclusion. We build and sustain a culture of belonging as part of our work, and our work is guided by our belief in the inherent worth of all people.
- We believe in integrated advocacy. Our work is guided by the knowledge that achieving our mission requires us to use multiple tools, rather than relying on any one single tactic.